- Protect your Social Security card, credit card, or bank account number—never give this information to someone via phone or email.
- Be wary of door-to-door contractors.
- End the phone conversation quickly if you feel uncomfortable or start feeling pressured.
- Avoid get rich quick schemes. Beware of offers that sound too good to be true or promise a huge reward with little to no risk.
- Retain your receipts, statements, and packing slips. Check them for accuracy.
- Shred all confidential documents instead of simply throwing them in the trash.
- Check out the soliciting company with the Better Business Bureau.
- Order a copy of your credit report each year from the three reporting agencies—www.annualcreditreport.com. They are free.
- Give any personal information (even if confirming the information) to unsolicited callers.
- Be concerned about sounding rude.
- Pay money up front to get a loan, collect a prize, debt settlement, credit repair, or foreclosure help.
- Deposit a check and then agree to wire someone money. The check is phony and the money you send will come out of your own account.
- Give in to the pressure technique that you need to act right away.
- Do any banking via your email account. Only use the secure online access offered by your bank and confirm the address starts with https (the “s” indicates secure site).
- Give in to foreign lotteries—they are illegal in the U.S. and you cannot win regardless of what they say.
Educational Materials: (If you would like a copy of brochures or DVD, you may visit their website.)
- “Scams and Frauds: Protect Yourself, Don’t Be a Target” North Carolina Department of Justice at ncdoj.gov.
- “ A Consumer’s Guide to Sweepstakes and Lotteries” US Postal Service
- “Guide to Preventing Mail Fraud” US Postal Service
- “Tricks of the Trade: Outsmarting Investment Fraud” DVD offered by saveandinvest.org and the Better Business Bureau
Council on Aging (828-277-8288)
Adult Protective Services (828-250-5500)
Better Business Bureau (828-253-2392)
Pisgah Legal Services (828-253-0406)
Links are being provided for information purposes only. Raymond James is not affiliated with and does not endorse, authorize or sponsor any of the listed companies, websites or their respective sponsors. Raymond James is not responsible for the content of any website or the collection or use of information regarding any website’s users and/or members.